+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dramatic lighting tricks

Lightbulb Dramatic lighting tricks

Last edited by Computron; June 4th, 2011 at 05:58 PM.

Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future

Re: 3ds Max Smoothing Group Support

That would be real easy to test but i'm pretty sure it does.

Re: 3ds Max Smoothing Group Support

Yea, as soon as I posted I decided to search these forums and found someone talking about using them in a previous post so I changed the OP to the other part of my question. I'm a little trigger happy on my posting.

Re: Dramatic lighting tricks

perfect dark used vertex colouring for simulating lighting.

the reason theyre cut into the geometry, is because you need verts there to actually shade it.
    they're not dynamic in any way, and 100% static.
    gallery-smellery!
    tutorial-brutorial!

Quake was a game where a guy jumped over your head at 30mph, spun, put 3 rockets in your grill and landed without slowing down and no one called "aim bot!" at it."

I new they lit it by using the verts but I didn't expect vertex couloring. I wouldn't suppose that halo 2 supports that. Couldn't you still achieve a similar effect with some clever smoothing groups usage?

Also, regarding them being static or dynamic, most people miss this part of the game, but you can shoot out a lot of the lights if you find the source. When you shoot them out, only that particular light and its shadows are affected, thats fairly dynamic. they can't move though, as that would require new geometry, so not entirely dynamic.
    Last edited by Computron; June 5th, 2011 at 12:08 PM.

lights being shot out = gelmaps i'd guess, but vertex colouring/lighting (usually) can't be updated on the fly, and is static.

i suppose nowadays with unrealengine for example you propably could if you wanted too, but anything pre-dating unrealengine3 propably won't be capable of it.
    (it being prerendered n all)

As for halo2 supporting vertex colouring, i really don't know.
    I would think it does, because vertex colours can be applied to a whole load of effects (blending/multiply colour/heightmapping/lighting/etc)
    You'd have to look for yourself really, because i've never actually worked with halo2
    gallery-smellery!
    tutorial-brutorial!

Quake was a game where a guy jumped over your head at 30mph, spun, put 3 rockets in your grill and landed without slowing down and no one called "aim bot!" at it."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information