+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-latency (server-side hit detection / correction)

Re: Anti-latency (server-side hit detection / correction)

No.

Only one projectile appears in either case. It's a "Show Projectile Lag" off/on switch, basically.

Just remembering, another example or this in action would be the fire arrow in Hyrule Field. The problem with this option being, explosions and effects of that sort don't appear on your screen.

I just checked and it seems to behave as I described. By default the needler has the flag checked. When I uncheck it, I get the following. I DID NOT make the weapon fire 2 projectiles at once. The modified map is the map the server runs, not the map the client has.
    http://www.xfire.com/video/4e5c6b/

Note that when the projectiles hit the wall only one of them leaves a decal, leading me to believe that one is the "real" projectile according to the server while the other is the projectile that players normally see.

Or perhaps the problem is that I did this on PC and not CE?

E:
    I did some more testing and here's what I found: Same procedure as before. "Projectile is client-side only" unchecked. Server runs modded map. Client has default map. This time I also changed the projectile the needler references to the sniper bullet.
    http://www.xfire.com/video/4e5c81/

With the projectile swapped and "projectile is client-side only" checked as it is in the default map, you would only see a needle being fired. With the projectile swapped and "projectile is client-side only" unchecked as seen in the video, you get both the sniper bullet, the "real server projectile" and the needle, the "fake client projectile".

This leads me to believe that the "projectile is client-side only" flag does exactly what it says. When checked, it causes the client to only see the "fake client projectile". You can test this by joining a game and using the needler. Sometimes the needles appear to miss an enemy yet you still hit him and vice versa, hence the "fake".

When the flag is unchecked, the client sees a "real server projectile" in addition to the "fake client projectile". In the case of the modded map in the video, the "real projectile" would be the sniper bullet as the needler has had its projectile reference swapped for the sniper bullet. Notice how when the sniper bullet misses but the needler hits, the enemy takes no damage. On the contrary when the sniper bullet hits, whether or not the needle also hits, the enemy does take damage.
    Last edited by flyingmonkey3; September 30th, 2011 at 11:44 PM.

uhm, I've never seen that on CE. I did the UT2k4 maps, and a ton of the weapons had that option checked, and there definitely weren't two projectiles when those weapons fired.

Here's a video someone made of the mod.. it's hard to see, but it's noticeable when he fires the flak cannon, link gun and minigun that there's definitely not a client-side projectile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA0gvUxb5po
    Last edited by t3h m00kz; September 30th, 2011 at 11:39 PM.

In conclusion the flag has different effects in PC and CE then?

E: To clarify, when the flag IS checked, there is always only 1 projectile. When it IS NOT checked, there can be 2.
    E2: Sorry to sort of hijack the thread, but I would like this to be clarified.
    Last edited by flyingmonkey3; September 30th, 2011 at 11:47 PM.

Don't know. Don't have PC installed and I can't check on it. It looks like the client is firing a needle and the server is firing a sniper round. Map mismatch maybe?

Either way, yeah we kind of hijacked the thread, but my concern about grenades remains.

Quote Originally Posted by t3h m00kz View Post
    Safe to assume the client-side correction you're showing in that video won't be released, as it would be more of a cheat than anything.

Also... how well do grenades work? I have to ask, because they lag behind based on ping by default.
    Don't worry - I won't release it. I was considering it at one point though, as it is better than the many available aim bots (as in, less of a cheat - but still a cheat I guess).

In the client-side tool, grenades are "drawn" slightly further ahead, based on velocity and ping, as you might expect. It's not great, as they end up going through walls (as in the video) and generally warp. Sometimes, they appear to land on a ledge, but this was incorrect so they then warp to a different location and explode Colliding with other players is also bad (although, perhaps this was always bad). Vehicles are the worst, as they are also drawn ahead, even when the client is driving. This should be fixed really, but it doesn't bother me that much - I usually just disable the tool when I am driving. Of course, none of this is really important, as I won't release this tool and these problems wouldn't exist in the server-side idea. Grenades could theoretically be adjusted, such that, when they explode, all other players are moved back to their recent positions (from the positions history). However, this might be a bit harsh! I think focusing only on bullets and player positions would be a good initial goal....although I think your point is a good one and worth testing if this gets off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey3 View Post
    Perhaps instead of only modifying player positions you modify the positions of all moving objects?
    This would be the best plan, but, as an initial goal (and when giving examples), I thought I would focus on player positions only.

Sounds pretty similar to just using cl_timenudge in any quake 3 engine game, and I've never heard anyone call that a cheat. The only difference between leading and shooting at a 'predicted' client for an experienced player is that in the former you're using your own judgement, which is more reliable than any computer prediction anyway.
    Last edited by Pooky; October 2nd, 2011 at 01:30 PM.

I think Metroid is a pretty cool guy, eh finds missiles and doesn't afraid of anything.

I'd say it would potentially be safe to post it here if you want, as we're not really as much of a community of cheaters as much as a community of modders. I would be lying if I said I didn't want to see this in action first hand. Not having to lead is something I've been wanting to experience for years.

I'd actually be fine with the client side hack being released. It'd be just another tool to enhance the game, similar to yelo or third person hacks. Ultimately its up to you, its not a tool designed to cheat with, and it enhances the game in ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
    Sounds pretty similar to just using cl_timenudge in any quake 3 engine game, and I've never heard anyone call that a cheat. The only difference between leading and shooting at a 'predicted' client for an experienced player is that in the former you're using your own judgement, which is more reliable than any computer prediction anyway.
    So... you're saying this would not be advantageous in any way.

That's rediculous. If this gets released to the general community, players who don't know what leading is will suddenly be getting more kills. The tiny few skilled people may not get much of an advantage boost, but you're not thinking about the rest of the people who play this.
    Last edited by t3h m00kz; October 2nd, 2011 at 03:06 PM.

The tiny few skilled people may not get much of an advantage boost, but you're not thinking about the rest of the people who play this.
    Most of the players you're talking about can't even read this thread.
    Or afford a legitimate copy of halo.
    And are already cheating anyway.

That's rediculous. If this gets released to the general community, players who don't know what leading is will suddenly be getting more kills. The tiny few skilled people may not get much of an advantage boost, but you're not thinking about the rest of the people who play this.
    That's retarded. All something like this could conceivably do is make the game more playable for people who don't understand the concept of leading. Ping is still fully in effect, so it wouldn't offer an advantage in any way except giving you a (buggy) visual indicator of leading which any skilled player can do anyway.

see again: cl_timenudge

I think Metroid is a pretty cool guy, eh finds missiles and doesn't afraid of anything.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information