Closed Thread
Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Crit thread 2012

Re: Quick Crit thread 2012

Hello

Something ive been working on, on and off for the past year.

this is about six months old but

Second attempt at sculpt+retopo. red edges are UV seams

... Is that supposed to be a jakal?

a personal, stylized take on one, but yes

Quills, teeth, claws are hidden
    Last edited by t3h m00kz; July 22nd, 2012 at 10:54 PM.

neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of

dude....

no.

that's past 'personal stylised', that's an abomnation.
    gallery-smellery!
    tutorial-brutorial!

Quake was a game where a guy jumped over your head at 30mph, spun, put 3 rockets in your grill and landed without slowing down and no one called "aim bot!" at it."

sorry bro

but hey.. thanks for the oh so helpful, educating, enlightening feedback, I really appreciate all of those anatomical flaws you pointed out, it and it's definitely going to help me improve my skills as an artist!! I'm so glad you're here to point me in the right direction

Last edited by t3h m00kz; July 23rd, 2012 at 02:46 AM. Reason: I have had an enlightening journey

Here's one I saw someone working on on Polycount:

He said the armor was done but was still working on the skin. I think the thing that really bothers me is the tail. It really doesn't seem to fit. I'm not really big on the whole organic modeling thing, but yours also seems to be... tubby? While the Jackals are usually kinda long and thin.

You can also see how the head flows with the beak instead of having the beak lower and giving it more of a forehead. I can understand stylizing, but those things make it seem kinda just, not the same as a Jackal. If you hadn't said it was, I may have though it was just a dino thing. So I don't know. Also, from what I understand, the T-pose is a little dated, everyone seems to be doing that thing with the arms at a 45. Something to think about too.

Just some thoughts.

neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by t3h m00kz View Post
    sorry bro

but hey.. thanks for the oh so helpful, educating, enlightening feedback, I really appreciate all of those anatomical flaws you pointed out, it and it's definitely going to help me improve my skills as an artist!! I'm so glad you're here to point me in the right direction

it could work as a fat baby-jackal!
    gallery-smellery!
    tutorial-brutorial!

Quake was a game where a guy jumped over your head at 30mph, spun, put 3 rockets in your grill and landed without slowing down and no one called "aim bot!" at it."

pretty sick sculpt, the guy's got some skills for sure. got a link to that thread by any chance?

I'm not sure what the situation is with the t-pose myself, I've been using it as it's made dealing with hands and arms far more managable. I'd imagine moving the geometry around before unwrapping would yield better results for animation deformations, as it will cause less texture stretching. any idea what the benefits for it are?

Looking at it now, there's definitely some improvements to be made with the head, I'll rework the beak if I get back to working on it. The head on mine definitely looks a tad... spherical, and looking at it now, it's a bit of an eyesore.

I know the posture is a bit off as well, jackals tend to lean forward 95% of the time, and not stand entirely upright.

As for the chubiness and the tail, those are by design. Jackals have been walking chicken skeletons throughout the series, and I've knowingly gone off on a tangent - particularly for this character (the goal was shorter and chubbier than most jackals). Had I been modeling a generic jackal, it would have been far thinner, though the tail may have remained as an artistic liberty as the design for them has changed so massively from game to game that I'm not too concerened with keeping things "canon" and I like stubby little tails ok

If there's any feedback for anatomical issues or bad topology as well, I'm all ears. The goal was to have this thing rigged and animated, and if I ever get back to it I'd like to avoid any bad topo that would be problematic.

Thanks so far man.
    Last edited by t3h m00kz; July 23rd, 2012 at 04:03 AM.

To be honest the guy didn't have a thread. Or if he did I couldn't find it. He just posted it in the "What are you working on" thread.

This is the guy: http://www.wesley3d.com/Index.htm

Here was his post: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showp...postcount=7821

From what I understand the t-pose was replaced because generally a character didn't have their arms at a 90 degree angle. It made people who do sculpts be able to make the muscle structure a lot better (as our muscles look different at 90 degrees rather than 45) and like you said, to try to avoid texture stretching.

Again, I haven't ventured in to the sculpting stuff too much, so my knowledge is rather limited.

Closed Thread

Thread Information