+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Weapon design and you: how to avoid sci-fi samery

Posts, posts EVERYWHERE! Warsaw's Avatar
    Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Weapon design and you: how to avoid sci-fi samery

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFighter7 View Post
    To the OP: all a matter of opinion.
    Whether or not one enjoys the intricate sci-fi stuff is, yes. What makes something realistic or practical, no.

The problem as I see it isn't so much "rawr, fuck your greeble!" by itself as it is developers saying "Hey, look, we made a realistic and believable game universe" and then taking a dump on that idea by making everything look frigging ridiculous and impractical.

Rule of Cool is fine, and necessary, but you have to know where to draw that line based on how believable you want your world to be.

TeeKup: I don't much care for men crawling in the mud
    TeeKup: id rather them be crawling in my bed

rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFighter7 View Post
    To the OP: all a matter of opinion.
    So is "Daikatana is a good game".
    sometimes bad posters say stupid things and i put them in here

Quote Originally Posted by rossmum View Post
    So is "Daikatana is a good game".
    So is "Halo CE is a good game, Zelda OoT is a good game, Half Life 2 is a good game."

In matters of opinion, please consider "Spiders are adorable. A few of them are, anyways."
    Are your legs tingly yet?

[22:33:00] <Rentafence> i scroll down and Tnnaas fucking avatar and signature are giving me fuckign seizures

Posts, posts EVERYWHERE! Warsaw's Avatar
    Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bobblehob View Post
    So is "Halo CE is a good game, Zelda OoT is a good game, Half Life 2 is a good game."
    You do know what Daikatana is, right?

TeeKup: I don't much care for men crawling in the mud
    TeeKup: id rather them be crawling in my bed

Blog Entries
    TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute TeeKup has a reputation beyond repute

An abomination?

Quote Originally Posted by Warsaw View Post
    You do know what Daikatana is, right?
    That was my point, as much as people say its a bad game(in this case definitely), if someone enjoys it, in their opinion its a good game, its just as subjective as calling Halo CE a good game. The same goes for the subject of this entire thread. Especially when there is no accepted standard of what is good and bad when it comes to aesthetics in sci-fi.
    Last edited by Bobblehob; March 24th, 2012 at 12:42 PM.

Bitchin' Sitar Solos nuttyyayap's Avatar
    nuttyyayap has much to be proud of nuttyyayap has much to be proud of nuttyyayap has much to be proud of nuttyyayap has much to be proud of nuttyyayap has much to be proud of nuttyyayap has much to be proud of nuttyyayap has much to be proud of nuttyyayap has much to be proud of nuttyyayap has much to be proud of nuttyyayap has much to be proud of nuttyyayap has much to be proud of

Well there is, in a way.
    It's SCIENCE Fiction because of the basis in SCIENCE. Not because some half-incompetent artist extrudes fucking everything.
    But each to their own, I mean, I like some of the REACH guns but I hate others.
    Quote Originally Posted by neuro View Post
    butts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siliconmaster View Post
    Butts.

Blog Entries
    TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard good things about Daikatana

apparently I have been lied to.

rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bobblehob View Post
    That was my point, as much as people say its a bad game(in this case definitely), if someone enjoys it, in their opinion its a good game, its just as subjective as calling Halo CE a good game. The same goes for the subject of this entire thread. Especially when there is no accepted standard of what is good and bad when it comes to aesthetics in sci-fi.
    Some people also believe genocide is cool and that there is nothing wrong with pedophilia. I consider there to be such things as 'correct' and 'incorrect' opinions.
    sometimes bad posters say stupid things and i put them in here

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information