+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Halo 4 Battle Rifle

Re: Halo 4 Battle Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Computron View Post
    Yes I am, and if you don't mind, I would like to offer some crits on your model.
    You didn't mention whether your goal was to bake a normals map from your model, but in it's current state I wouldn't recommend it, as your edges are way too thin.

No. There is no goal to make a low poly. I'm busy with plenty of other things. However, there would still be no issue with baking. The edges aren't as thin as you think, you just happen to make your loops extra loose. Which makes it look far more cartoon-y than the original.

They will show up as only a few pixels in width even on the highest resolution textures, and will become pixel soup at any stage lower in the mip-chain. In general, thicker edges also just read better in CG.

"Read" better and "look" better are two different things.

Here is an in depth explanation.

Explanation

Cool, even though I can guarantee most of us have seen both of those. You don't have to worry about posting tutorials here. Most of us can find them on our own if we want to look for them.

There are certain features which I decided to exaggerate for the sake of making a more intersting model. The goal wasn't to completely recreate the BR.

Then call it something different? Go completely different? Why call it a Halo 4 Battle Rifle if you have no interest in recreating it. It's just automatically going to be compared to the original.

As for propotortions, thank you for the crits, some of the proportions on my model (a WIP, BTW) do come off as awkward. I am still working on the stock. (I am close to finishing my High Poly model )

Here is a better look at the Grip from an earlier stage of the model:

The grip is still far too fat. It does follow a better design than mine, however it's still beyond uncomfortable looking.

There is no need to be condescending.

There is. The model is a good start, but it's nowhere near a final look. If you know so much about modeling, you should be able to see that from a mile away. Also you won't ever learn anything if everyone shoots rainbows out their ass for you.

For this model, I am practicing modeling without the use of floaters, and as such, the topology will be messy, but the model is more accurate as a result, I will get less projection skewing and the AO will bake more accurately. In the end, no one will see the topology, especially through the bake on a low poly.

Again, if you're so familiar with baking normals and working with making a high to low, then why not use floaters? There's no issue with using them on generally flat sections, which is pretty much all of the BR. You should know that. Projection skewing with AO? What are you doing wrong? If you set it up right you shouldn't be running in to a problem like that with baking normals.
    See above.

As Bungie would say:

Last edited by Computron; March 31st, 2012 at 03:17 PM.

Well that pretty much sums up the maturity I figured you had.

By comparison his edges are much nicer, bob. Yours are definitely tight. You don't want realistic look edges on a high poly model because it will create aliasing in your normal map that AA will not fix. The proper procedure for a high poly model is to have softer (or wider, as racer points out) edges. For arguments sake here he seems to know what he's doing. Overall I really don't like the design of this new BR in the first place. With the design aside, the modeling looks fine and I'm interested in seeing how the bake and texture some out.

In terms of floaters they definitely save time and are a common practice however, no one says you have to use them and it's definitely good practice to learn how to model a high poly without floaters. Especially since you have no time constraints on a personal project
    Last edited by PenGuin1362; March 31st, 2012 at 03:44 PM.

L33T: useless jew is redundant
    ctrlaltde5tr0y: h2v dramas dont last long, but theyre awesome

Quote Originally Posted by PenGuin1362 View Post
    By comparison his edges are much nicer, bob. Yours are definitely tight. You don't want realistic look edges on a high poly model because it will create aliasing in your normal map that AA will not fix. The proper procedure for a high poly model is to have softer edges. For arguments sake here he seems to know what he's doing. Overall I really don't like the design of this new BR in the first place. With the design aside, the modeling looks fine and I'm interested in seeing how the bake and texture some out.

In terms of floaters they definitely save time and are a common practice however, no one says you have to use them and it's definitely good practice to learn how to model a high poly without floaters. Especially since you have no time constraints on a personal project
    Thanks Penguin, if you interested in seeing more, I post a blog style thread on Polycount.com for this BR.

There is nothing wrong with Computron's mesh. It's very well done.

Looks like the guys on poly count also think your edges are too loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
    That's the first I've seen of the H4 Battle Rifle. Is it really that ugly?
    ^^

Also edges look fine to me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hélder Câmara
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist.

Blog Entries
    t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute

model looks fine and this guy's got talent you need to smoke a bowl bob

BLLRUGHFFFUHGHF

Quote Originally Posted by BobtheGreatII View Post
    Looks like the guys on poly count also think your edges are too loose.
    They do lean on the softer end, but they'll still catch light better than if they were too tight

L33T: useless jew is redundant
    ctrlaltde5tr0y: h2v dramas dont last long, but theyre awesome

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information