+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: [WIP] Battlefield 3 UI

Dozo has much to be proud of Dozo has much to be proud of Dozo has much to be proud of Dozo has much to be proud of Dozo has much to be proud of Dozo has much to be proud of Dozo has much to be proud of

Re: [WIP] Battlefield 3 UI

Well, this hasn't been updated since 2012.

Pretty much all progress on this stopped soon after the revelation that the various UI elements would be scaled to 640x480 and then back up to 1080p. It looked horrible. Absolutely, train-wreckingly horrible. After putting all the small intricate details into the existing elements I just didn't see the point of continuing if it was all going to be a blurry pixelated mass anyway. Now, I am interested in picking this up again since I have all the source files (the only thing unfinished is the options menu) and a few tests in the game itself but only if there is a way to resolve the issue of Halo scaling down the image.

I've actually thought of a possible way to do it. Now, as is established, a UI can only display flat images at 640x480 but what is the limit of the size of images inside the game engine itself? In the same way a wall is textured, images could be textured on a flat surface and UI buttons that are invisible (somehow) are placed over the top of them so when you click on a part of the image, an action would be performed. I think this might be better illustrated by an image:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	n8L5g6e.png
Views:	121
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	3285
    Is there anything wrong with this theory? I haven't tested it out myself since I'm away from where I've got Halo installed but I'm interested in getting this UI finished if this actually works. Any feedback would be great thanks.

Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure the max resolution is 4096x4096. Thats kinda unnecssary though, as you could just break up the elements into smaller textures while still retaining 1080p if your going to use geometry.

There dosen't seem anything wrong with the theory but I have no idea how you will animate the textures when they are clicked on/hovered etc

p.s i think you might be wrong about the ui elements, ive seen some UI's that definitely look nice at 1080p??
    "I don't know wtf I'm doing. Zbrush UI is like looking into the matrix."
    Lumoria - Youtube - Portfolio

Dozo has much to be proud of Dozo has much to be proud of Dozo has much to be proud of Dozo has much to be proud of Dozo has much to be proud of Dozo has much to be proud of Dozo has much to be proud of

​Yeah I wasn't planning on having the UI as one big image but rather cutting it up into the buttons, foreground objects and background objects.
    please
    direct me to these UI's. I haven't seen one yet that isn't downscaled.

Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I never found a way to do this while working on the delta halo UI. You could use ingame textures models but you'd likely run into issues with people using different FOVs?

I thought of this problem too and tbh, it's just something I think I'm going to have to live with. I'll be sure to give people ample warning to set their FOV to 90 or something.

Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could just use the actual ui elements traditionally, suffer the loss of having your work a bit downsized but still having a nice working UI that everyone can use...
    "I don't know wtf I'm doing. Zbrush UI is like looking into the matrix."
    Lumoria - Youtube - Portfolio

This is one part me trying to retain the highest visual quality possible but also trying to do things that haven't been done before. As far as I know, nobody has ever made a UI like this.

Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute Timo has a reputation beyond repute

How are you planning on getting the map to update upon clicks? You'll need a pretty beefy set of scripts to keep up with the number of menus, and ways to navigate. Another thing I couldn't quite get working was a script to function when the escape button was pressed instead of clicking the go back button.

Setting up navigation should be relatively simple; pressing button x will send you to another set of invisible buttons and images.
    One thing I've forgot to mention is that the button-image method I've proposed applies to the main areas of navigation such as the campaign and multiplayer menus while the less navigated areas eg key bindings and audio/video options will simply be an ordinary UI part. I'm content with providing the highest quality imagery for what users see the most (map selection) and keeping the rest simple.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information