+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Activision/Bungie Destiny - Potential for more Marathon

NneYaTano has much to be proud of NneYaTano has much to be proud of NneYaTano has much to be proud of NneYaTano has much to be proud of NneYaTano has much to be proud of NneYaTano has much to be proud of NneYaTano has much to be proud of NneYaTano has much to be proud of NneYaTano has much to be proud of NneYaTano has much to be proud of

Activision/Bungie Destiny - Potential for more Marathon

A Joystiq story appears to reveal rather more information about Bungie's upcoming projects than fans are used to hearing during a quiet period. Aside from a few seconds of music and video, the term "Destiny" was about all we knew. Now, a document purporting to be the a publishing and development agreement between Bungie and Activision has leaked onto the internet, specifying not just one or two or three but four "sci-fantasy action shooter" games referred to by the term "Destiny" but also allows for Bungie do dedicate a small portion of its resources for the development of a game called... Marathon.

The contract also gives Bungie the freedom to put five percent of its staff to work on a prototype for a new game referred to as "Marathon," with the team size allowed to grow after certain operating income. There are also rules governing how much of the company's staff can work on Bungie.Net, Halo Reach DLC and other projects.
    A post at Bungie.net, while short on details, would seem to confirm that the agreement is legitimate.

It appears as if Bungie retains the ownership of the new IP, although Activision will get ownership if Bungie fails to ship the first game, and if Activision terminates the agreement after the first game ships, it will retain an exclusive, royalty-bearing non-transferable license to the property.

Thoughts on this?

Re: Activision/Bungie Destiny - Potential for more Marathon

M-MARATHON!?

I--Holy crap, if this is really Marathon... (although it could be a production title, but why would bungie do that)
    Last edited by itszutak; June 7th, 2012 at 05:07 PM.

Slumdoge Millionaire Rentafence's Avatar
    Rentafence is on a distinguished road

So basically they're remaking Halo but with a different story and in a different universe. Got it.
    GIVE DOGECOIN

D7CneAWRzdaf3ERK1DDcAKLsLAv8FRy1cW

I've never played Marathon so I can't compare the gameplay with Halo: CE, but from what I've read, the story is different enough. As long as the similarities to Halo in Marathon aren't CoD-level striking, I think it should be fun to play through a modern version of it. I wasn't even playing video games yet when Marathon was released, I was spoiled with good looking adventure games that had nice sprites and some 3D games that were well developed by the time I cared for 3D games. I don't think I'd be able to push down the old graphics of Marathon to enjoy it. I may check out the new version when they announce it.

I cringe a little any time someone says they can't play a classic game because graphics.

But anyway just get the XBLA version of Marathon 2, it's easy enough on the eyes.

I think Metroid is a pretty cool guy, eh finds missiles and doesn't afraid of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
    I cringe a little any time someone says they can't play a classic game because graphics.

But anyway just get the XBLA version of Marathon 2, it's easy enough on the eyes.
    BEFORE anyone buys the XBLA M2, they should really try the demo. Some people (like me) are really sensitive to the movement and framerate in the game, and get motion sick after a few minutes of playing.

I'd recommend sticking to http://source.bungie.org/ -- it's free, works on all 3 major operating systems, and can be configured/modded how you like.

Quote Originally Posted by rentafence View Post
    So basically they're remaking Halo but with a different story and in a different universe. Got it.
    ...pretty much every space-marine game can be compared to halo "with a different story and in a different universe"... I'm not sure I understand the complaint? Unless it's more of "oh, bungie's doing /another/ FPS sci-fi game", which I can understand, considering they have done some RTS fantasy and RPG sci-fi stuff in the past.
    Last edited by itszutak; June 7th, 2012 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by itszutak View Post
    BEFORE anyone buys the XBLA M2, they should really try the demo. Some people (like me) are really sensitive to the movement and framerate in the game, and get motion sick after a few minutes of playing.
    How could it possibly be any worse than Halo which uses 30 fps and FOV 70? Personally I find Marathon a lot easier on the eyes.

Speaking of FOV, Aleph One uses the original FOV which is godawful while the XBLA version uses 90.

I think Metroid is a pretty cool guy, eh finds missiles and doesn't afraid of anything.

I can't change what I feel.
    Last edited by Amit; June 7th, 2012 at 07:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute t3h m00kz has a reputation beyond repute

or you could hack in the hi-res sprites from xbla to Aleph One. which looks amazing btw

the XBLA version uses 90.
    source?

it sure doesn't feel like 90

BLLRUGHFFFUHGHF

Blog Entries
    Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, this was already uncovered and talked about when the contract was made public due to the IW and Shittyvision court case...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information