View Poll Results: would you be interested/willing to contribute significantly

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • i'm interested, but not sure if i could contribute

9 39.13%
  • i'm interested, and could contribute ingame-art

11 47.83%
  • i'm interested and could contribute coding and/or scripting and/or other game-logic

1 4.35%
  • i'm interested and can contribute in both game-art and coding

1 4.35%
  • i'm interested and willing to contribute concept-art

1 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Modacity Community Project

Question Modacity Community Project

edit: fuck the poll limited itself to 5 instead of 9, could a mod change this?

READ FIRST, THEN VOTE.

this could be one of the dumbest ideas in the history of the internet, as the words 'modacity' and 'get things done' are two mutually exclusive phrases, so i'm posting this mostly to probe level of interest in something like this.

I've been brooding over an idea for a while now, and with the crowdfunding/opensource becoming more and more 'the thing', i was wondering whether or not we as a community would be able to pull something like this off.

basically my proposition to you, as a community, is to pool our collective skills (or lack thereof) and see if we can put together a game.
    this community has plenty talent, coders, graphics artists, designers, concept artists, and i'm sure we all know a whole bunch of people who also have similar skills.

right now, there isn't anything concrete, like i said, this is just to probe the level of interest in the community to take up a large-ish project (but definately within the scope of what we can do) and see how far we can get in the time of one year. (or something)

ideally we'd end up with a product that isn't complete balls, and actually plays and is a decent amount of fun.

IF there is a reasonable amount of interest in undertaking something like this, i intend to start a series of votes as on what and how, and we should see about getting something basic going on, and move from there.

what i'd like you people to do is read the voting options, and consider if you'd be able to contribute something meaningful.
    meaningful being art/code/concept 'ideas' aren't really meaningful at this point, since this isn't a 'MAKE MY GAME' type thing.

meaningful doesn't imply it has to be fucking awesome either, it wouldnt be much of a community project if it was restricted to the 1337s and we'd end up with maybe 5-7 people.
    it's not aiming for something AAA-quality, but more something that doesn't look like ass, and at the same time plays relatively well.
    at the same time, there would be a minimum bar for most things, so if you make a lovely white box resembling a gun, don't be upset if it gets replaced with something that resembles a gun more apropriately.

also consider wether or not you'd be able to actually dedicate some time to this, considering we're going to want to use a good deadline and not end up with things going on into infinity like most things that are modacity.

so yeah, vote/discuss, but try to avoid posting/discussing 'we should make this game'-type things and ideas.
    that's all of later concern.

IF there's a significant amount of interest in this, i would go about finding the people who'd be most likely to contribute the most, and have the most experience in the field, and put together a design document, based on a # of public polls posted here.
    when we'd have a preliminary version here, we'd have more polls and discussion and reitterate it a few times until we get something that's REASONABLE and doable, and something we think most of us would actually enjoy playing.

timing for this i'm unsure of at the moment, but i'm guessing something to happen within a month or 3. i suppose it really depends on people's schedules.

keep in mind, the #1 focus of this project would be is 'make a game' and you don't have a game, until you actually have a finished 'sellable' product.
    by using that word, i should also immediately add a disclaimer, that IF we end up with a sellable product, we'll work out how and what from that point.
    there's absolutely NO point in arguing about money or shares in any way until there's actually something that you CAN sell, so don't even go there.

edit:
    it would be a multiplayer game, in order to be as content-efficient as possible.
    Last edited by neuro; July 2nd, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
    gallery-smellery!
    tutorial-brutorial!

Quake was a game where a guy jumped over your head at 30mph, spun, put 3 rockets in your grill and landed without slowing down and no one called "aim bot!" at it."

=sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Modacity Community Project

Depending on the genre I would be interested.
    As long as the project is within scope and we're not aiming for some sort of AAA thing, just something to test the waters with I'd be interested.

PopeAK49 has a reputation beyond repute PopeAK49 has a reputation beyond repute PopeAK49 has a reputation beyond repute PopeAK49 has a reputation beyond repute PopeAK49 has a reputation beyond repute PopeAK49 has a reputation beyond repute PopeAK49 has a reputation beyond repute PopeAK49 has a reputation beyond repute PopeAK49 has a reputation beyond repute PopeAK49 has a reputation beyond repute PopeAK49 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be interested.

But like warlord said; it depends on the genre.

Posts, posts EVERYWHERE! Warsaw's Avatar
    Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested and willing to contribute concept art. Characters, weapons, vehicles...I might even be able to do environments. I'm pretty experienced in crafting fictional worlds, including the stories. I've also got some game ideas that can be thrown out onto the table if/when this gets off the ground for the potential team to vote on. I don't presently have a job , so I have plenty of time. I don't have much preference for genres, as long as it isn't something TF2/BF:H style because my brain doesn't do well at imagineering silly. That's one of the things I need to work on. @_@

However, I would only want to do it if we have a clearly outlined plan (with targets) and team structure; not interested in working on another meandering project where everybody including the team n00b gets to claim lordship over said project. I shouldn't be able to come in as a beta tester, then get magically promoted to content dude without being asked to first do something. That just earns the ire of the people who were already there, especially when the Producer and Director are indecisive about what to do (even fighting amongst themselves, no less, and trying to gain support of the underlings, splitting the team into two effective camps). The result is the new guy gets an assigned task, and the more senior people don't take it seriously and do their own thing anyways. Frustration ensues, project stalls, possibly dies, and nobody is happy.
    Last edited by Warsaw; July 2nd, 2012 at 03:20 PM.

thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute

Can offer administrative, managerial services. All other fields, I've been gone too long from to offer any worthwhile support.

rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute

in light of having zero artistic talent i am little more than an ideas guy, but if you're actually planning on a full-blown game you will need someone who has ideas for gameplay. any big plans for game genre yet, sp/mp, setting, etc? the success of dayz makes me think that if done properly, a stealth game where you're trying to evade other players rather than bots could be a hell of an experience...
    Take my hand and I'll show you what was and will be

i should have added that it would most likely have to be a multiplayer game, since that's simply the most content-efficient way of getting a mroe or less finished product.
    gallery-smellery!
    tutorial-brutorial!

Quake was a game where a guy jumped over your head at 30mph, spun, put 3 rockets in your grill and landed without slowing down and no one called "aim bot!" at it."

Posts, posts EVERYWHERE! Warsaw's Avatar
    Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem I would have with multiplayer is it being another ho-hum, been-there-done-that game with a different skin. Like any good game, it needs a core feature or mechanic to give it an identity.

thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute thehoodedsmack has a reputation beyond repute

This seems more like proof-of-ability work than an attempt to revolutionize the industry. I don't think it's a terrible tragedy if originality is sacrificed for the end result of an actual game being produced.

i'm sure we can come up with some creative gameplay that isn't straight up cloning an existing game.
    gallery-smellery!
    tutorial-brutorial!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information