+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 4? You have got to be kidding me...

Re: Battlefield 4? You have got to be kidding me...

Alright, BF3 was definitely not what we were expecting, but who's to say that DICE won't make BF4 into a traditional battlefield game? Maybe they felt bad after stuffing BF3 down our throats. BF3 may be DICE's Vista, but BF4 could be DICE's W7.

How often do games return to previously-ditched game mechanics? The general trend in my experience is "streamlining" over a series of games, rather than an increase in complexity. Halo reach returning to the halo 1 health system is one fairly rare counterexample (and may have had to do with game lore and such), but it seems halo 4 is returning to the 2-3 shield-only system.

Blog Entries
    =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Alright, BF3 was definitely not what we were expecting, but who's to say that DICE won't make BF4 into a traditional battlefield game? Maybe they felt bad after stuffing BF3 down our throats. BF3 may be DICE's Vista, but BF4 could be DICE's W7.
    Heh
    hehe
    ahahahahaha
    Good joke, you honestly expect EA to feel sorry for its customers?
    They only did something about ME3 because it was having lawsuits out the eyes and ears.

Posts, posts EVERYWHERE! Warsaw's Avatar
    Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute

Major Battlefield releases from 2000-2010

2002: Battlefield 1942
    2004: Battlefield Vietnam
    2005: Battlefield 2
    2006: Battlefield 2142
    2008: Battlefield: Bad Company
    2010: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Three years in a row a new BF game was released. And how in the hell would you call Vietnam DLC? You own it, you should know that it's a full fledged game.
    Battlefield: Vietnam is not a major release. It's essentially Battlefield 1942 with a Vietnam theme. I almost hesitate to call BF2142 a major release because it used BF2 as a base, and was a guinea pig for a refined class system as well as a new theme, though it is distinct enough to earn a major designation. The Bad Company series by definition is not a major release, it's the [successful]console experiment.

Major releases were 1942, BF2, BF 2142 and BF3. Everything else is them fiddling around with something in preparation for the next major release.

@Itszutak: Halo returnedd to ditched mechanics. Single-wielding came back, health came back, even the scoped rifle pistol called the M6D/G came back. In Battlefield, the Comma Rose returned, as did jets. It can happen.
    Last edited by Warsaw; July 19th, 2012 at 06:32 AM.

TeeKup: I don't much care for men crawling in the mud
    TeeKup: id rather them be crawling in my bed

Quote Originally Posted by =sw=warlord View Post
    Heh
    hehe
    ahahahahaha
    Good joke, you honestly expect EA to feel sorry for its customers?
    They only did something about ME3 because it was having lawsuits out the eyes and ears.
    DICE and EA are not the same thing. How would you feel if your reputation was built upon one game series and then you were forced to bastardize it into an "in your face, nigga!" premium experience? Outside videos and news posts, it's like the DICE team doesn't even want to talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warsaw View Post
    Battlefield: Vietnam is not a major release. It's essentially Battlefield 1942 with a Vietnam theme. I almost hesitate to call BF2142 a major release because it used BF2 as a base, and was a guinea pig for a refined class system as well as a new theme, though it is distinct enough to earn a major designation. The Bad Company series by definition is not a major release, it's the [successful]console experiment.
    I do consider Vietnam and 2142 as major releases, even if they were built using the same engine and general mechanics of the previous game of their engine. Vietnam was the first time that the 3D map was introduced. That's a pretty significant addition in itself. The graphics were improved with Vietnam, as well. Not to mention, the whole era change up was enough to make it a whole new game. The environment in Vietnam had thick jungles that affected your line of sight which changed the way you played the game.

2142 was pretty much BF2 in a new era, but it was a major release because of the things that were added/changed. It felt like a brand new game because of the new maps, new mechanics, drop pods and launch pods, the sexy equipment unlock system (including field promotions), and of course, Titan mode. Yes, 2142 was a major release. I know you agree, but I was just mentioning it to give the people following this discussion an idea of what we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Warsaw View Post
    Everything else is them fiddling around with something in preparation for the next major release.
    Anything that plays like a new game is a major release. The Bad Company series was not traditional Battlefield, but those are still major releases, even if they were released on consoles. BC1 was the console experiment. BC2 was the experiment of how PC gamers would take the game, too.
    Last edited by Amit; July 19th, 2012 at 11:50 AM.

Blog Entries
    =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute

DICE and EA are not the same thing. How would you feel if your reputation was built upon one game series and then you were forced to bastardize it into an "in your face, nigga!" premium experience? Outside videos and news posts, it's like the DICE team doesn't even want to talk about it.
    Who pays DICE's wages?
    Oh right.

rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute

please point out to me where this has happened in recent times

only example i can think of is deus ex
    sometimes bad posters say stupid things and i put them in here

Publishers can have creative control over subsidiary companies. See: Modern Warfare 2 and 3. I still thoroughly enjoy BF3. It doesn't always feel like classic BF2 but it's still fun as hell and I still have faith they'll deliver with future releases. It's also WAY to early to tell, you're all jumping the gun and making assumptions (in both directions) with nothing to base it on but past experiences. Calm yo tits.

Posts, posts EVERYWHERE! Warsaw's Avatar
    Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute

@Amit: so to you, that means there is no such thing as a major and a minor release. That also means BC2: Vietnam is a major release, as it feels like a new game as well.

I look at it this way: if all of the Battlefield games were made today, Vietnam and 2142 would be DLC expansions onto 1942 and BF2 respectively. Bad Company id not mainline Battlefield and was even said by DICE to be the prototype for BF3 and that precludes it from being a major release. It didn't even get hyped up like BF2 and 3.

TeeKup: I don't much care for men crawling in the mud
    TeeKup: id rather them be crawling in my bed

lol, bad company 2 was a prototype? thats funny, because that game is better than nearly every other first person shooter ive ever played.
    Playing BC2 again. I'll take shitty hit registration due to Brazillian lag over built in shitty hit reg.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information