+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: A thread with a difference: 'THE HORRORS OF WAR' in mainstream gaming

rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute

Re: A thread with a difference: 'THE HORRORS OF WAR' in mainstream gaming

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHalo003 View Post
    Well, the problem with saying that their current tech sucks is that it's getting better with every release. The Skyrim engine is gobs better than the NV engine in so many ways. The only problem currently is that it doesn't handle large ESP files well, which may actually be because space is reserved for DLC. Honestly, the biggest concern is whether or not Bethesda is going to make the next Fallout the Fallout Online game that's rumored for a 2015 release.
    no, the gamebryo engine (and by extention the new engine which is a tweaked version of gamebryo with a new name) is a gigantic pile of shit

dressing it in pretty clothes does not make it any less a pile of shit

it is technically backwards, it is often unstable, it has very little support for advanced features, and if it wasn't for the engine being such a pile of shit the combat might actually be fun and interesting, but no
    sometimes bad posters say stupid things and i put them in here

Quote Originally Posted by rossmum View Post
    no, the gamebryo engine (and by extention the new engine which is a tweaked version of gamebryo with a new name) is a gigantic pile of shit

dressing it in pretty clothes does not make it any less a pile of shit

it is technically backwards, it is often unstable, it has very little support for advanced features, and if it wasn't for the engine being such a pile of shit the combat might actually be fun and interesting, but no
    Although I think calling it a straight up pile of shit is a bit much, the bold is absolutely correct, especially with the weak support for advanced features.

But do you understand what I mean when I say that Fallout Online is a bigger worry than the engine? The ONLINE part is gimmicky enough as is; who knows what cliche tropes and narm they're going to throw into it.

"We also tried switching back, but they say we're using too many resources. Fuck them."

Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute

there is seriously something wrong with you people if you think skyrim is ugly, its a beautiful looking game and in comparison to many others it is far superior.
    "I don't know wtf I'm doing. Zbrush UI is like looking into the matrix."
    Lumoria - Youtube - Portfolio

Blog Entries
    =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Higuy View Post
    there is seriously something wrong with you people if you think skyrim is ugly, its a beautiful looking game and in comparison to many others it is far superior.
    Comparing a turd to diarrhea doesn't make the turd not shit, it just means it has more integrity and structure.

Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute

good, so you agree that most other games look like shit and that skyrim is a far superior turd then most others
    "I don't know wtf I'm doing. Zbrush UI is like looking into the matrix."
    Lumoria - Youtube - Portfolio

Blog Entries
    =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Higuy View Post
    good, so you agree that most other games look like shit and that skyrim is a far superior turd then most others
    Just because skyrim looks a slight bit better than some of the shit that's floating down the river doesn't mean it looks and smells like roses.

It's got ridiculous physics, Hi there flying bear, it's had some pretty horrible rush jobs done to it, the humanoids in it look better the further away they look from being human.
    For instance the elves look like elves but majority of the chicks lack any sort of femininity, in fact I'm reasonably sure Lydias balls dropped at one point whilst I was fighting a mudcrab.
    Last edited by =sw=warlord; August 3rd, 2012 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by =sw=warlord View Post
    Just because skyrim looks a slight bit better than some of the shit that's floating down the river doesn't mean it looks and smells like roses.

It's got ridiculous physics, Hi there flying bear, it's had some pretty horrible rush jobs done to it, the humanoids in it look better the father away they look from being human.
    For instance the elves look like elves but majority of the chicks lack any sort of femininity, in fact I'm reasonably sure Lydias balls dropped at one point whilst I was fighting a mudcrab.
    You must have some pretty high standards.

"We also tried switching back, but they say we're using too many resources. Fuck them."

Blog Entries

I would rather have high standards than get burned for settling for less from having mediocre standards.
    It does mean my library is rather low than some people might have but it makes the experience all that bit better.
    Less is more in this case.

Posts, posts EVERYWHERE! Warsaw's Avatar
    Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute

A few of things:

First: I hope that none of you defending Skyrim's (or any other Bethesda title's) stock visuals also call Modern Warfare 3 ugly, because that would be hypocritical. They have very similar values with their visuals.

Second: You guys claim "of course it's not Crysis" as if Crysis is some masterpiece that can't be reached. News flash: Crysis was released in 2007, five years ago. FIVE. YEARS. AGO. Why can't games that come out in 2012 look half as good? Answer: because it's cheaper to keep using the same crap that powered their 2006 game, which was effectively a delayed Xbox 360 launch title.

Three: here's a small list of major games that all look prettier than Skyrim or any Bethesda title ever has:
    • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
    • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
    • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
    • Metro 2033
    • Halo: Reach
    • Halo 3: ODST
    • Borderlands
    • RAGE
    • BioShock
    • Crysis
    • Crysis 2
    • Far Cry
    • Far Cry 2
    • Mass Effect
    • Mass Effect 2
    • Mass Effect 3 (yes, even with those women that look like anorexic figurines)
    • Gears of War 2
    • Gears of War 3
    • Battlefield: Bad Company
    • Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    • Battlefield 3
    • Unreal Tournament 3
    So please...don't tell me that Skyrim looks better than the vast majority of games out there, because it doesn't. Does it have a day/night cycle? Yes. Does it have a weather system? Yes. Does it take place in a world with some nicely varied environments? Yes. However, the lighting sucks, the physics suck, the texturing sucks, and the models suck. Guess which pieces of the puzzle have the most impact.

Oh, and this thread was supposed to be about story, not graphics.

TeeKup: I don't much care for men crawling in the mud
    TeeKup: id rather them be crawling in my bed

I really don't give a flying fuck about graphics. Skyrim is beautiful to me because of the scope and the art, not the engine.

By the same token I think Metroid Prime looks better than any of the games you listed, and it came out 10 years ago.

I think Metroid is a pretty cool guy, eh finds missiles and doesn't afraid of anything.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information