+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google introduces 1Gb/s download speed internet, free internet @ 5Mb/s, and HDTV!

Google introduces 1Gb/s download speed internet, free internet @ 5Mb/s, and HDTV!

It's called Google Fiber: http://fiber.google.com/about/

Re: Google introduces 1Gb/s download speed internet, free internet @ 5Mb/s, and HDTV!

I've seen a bunch of hype about this like it's a huge thing. My ISP has been testing Fiber in our city for almost two years now at 1000Mb/s symetrical speeds.

EDIT: However Google has us beat on price by a lot. It's $130/month for the fiber plans here, Google is only $70/month which is what my 50/5 plan costs. And no data caps.

Google get to Canada fast kthx.
    Last edited by Cortexian; July 26th, 2012 at 08:25 PM.

Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of

Re: Google introduces 1Gb/s download speed internet, free internet @ 5Mb/s, and HDTV!

I think you mean "Google get to Ottawa fast kthx."
    What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight on it? Twin linked :3

Well it seems like the big plus here is that Google is actually going to make a solid effort to start building the necessary infrastructure (or utilize existing ones) to bring fiber optics to more areas with better service. Verizon has their FIOS thing which offers pretty good speeds but Verizon is making dick of an effort to actually expand. And Comcast is just......just awful, so terribly awful.

L33T: useless jew is redundant
    ctrlaltde5tr0y: h2v dramas dont last long, but theyre awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Cortexian View Post
    Google get to Canada fast kthx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
    I think you mean "Google get to Ottawa fast kthx."
    I think you mean "Google, get to the GTA fast, kthx."

So, what's hiring in Kansas City?

I heard there's demand for telecomm technicians. wonder why?

Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of Hotrod has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    I think you mean "Google, get to the GTA fast, kthx."
    Nah man, we're the capitol of the country, we deserve the Google internet!
    What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight on it? Twin linked :3

Calgary will likely get Fiber first. We've been the pilot city for Internet stuff since Cable became a thing, plus they're already testing it here and in a few other Western cities like Vancouver.

Not to mention we're Canada's oil capitol so we have the $$$

InnerGoat killed my dakimakura waifu because I didn't post my desk :( jcap's Avatar
    jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute jcap has a reputation beyond repute

Google should also buy existing fiber infrastructures, like how Verizon sold to Frontier in some locations. Although the network equipment is somewhat dated and shitty for what Google wants to roll out, the beauty of (most) fiber networks is that the equipment can be swapped out and upgraded without needing to replace runs.

And I'm sure that if Google announced plans to come to an area that already has fiber, the ISP serving the area would want to sell as fast as possible to avoid competing with Google.............

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information