+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: planetside 2

neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of

planetside 2

who's in the beta and has half a fucking clue what they're doing?

anyone want to run around in the beta with me explaining some shit?
    also, i wanted to remap my keys to be able to fly shit with a controller, but that was simply impossible, because THE SLIGHEST tough on the frame on the controller would give it some analog input, and it seemed to conguse the left stick and right stick constantly >_>
    gallery-smellery!
    tutorial-brutorial!

Quake was a game where a guy jumped over your head at 30mph, spun, put 3 rockets in your grill and landed without slowing down and no one called "aim bot!" at it."

Posts, posts EVERYWHERE! Warsaw's Avatar
    Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute

Re: planetside 2

It's less complicated than it looks. I would walk you through it if I had a headset, but no dice. :c

First time in the game, you spawn at the team teleporter. Easy enough, yes?

Vehicle panels can be found near by (they have tanks on them), and you can purchase a vehicle for use. If you purchase a vehicle, you can not purchase that type again until the timer resets.

The vehicle types:
    -Lightning is a light tank that's generally fucking awesome and you should drive it because it can take care of anything short of an MBT, and even then you still have a chance. It's fast, well-armed with an auto-cannon and it has decent armour.
    -Vanquisher/Mag Rider/Ican'tremembertheotherone are MBTs. Each faction has its own unique version of this vehicle, but the idea is the same. The Mag Rider is for the Vanu and is the most mobile, the Vanquisher is for the Terrans (I think) and has staggered fire cannons allowing for quick follow-up shots, and the New Conglomerate version is just a solid traditional tank with a single cannon; I think it has more armour, actually...I like it the best.
    -Sunderer is an APC. Has two turrets and can hold shitloads of people.
    -ATV is an ATV
    -Scythe is the fighter
    -Galaxy is the troop carrier and mobile spawn
    -Liberator is a gunship that rains hell down with its massive cannon...people don't use this one as often as they should.

Purchasing a vehicle requires resources (it varies by vehicle, they are the icons at the bottom of your Map screen and Vehicle menu), and these resources are acquired by taking and holding hexagons on the map. Each hexagon is essentially a Battlefield map with capture points inside of it, usually A through F. The bars to the left above your mini-map indicate who controls the majority of the points, which points are under attack, and who has the resistance buff. That buff is what prevents a lone enemy from just going in and totally capping an entire hexagon all by himself; they will cap incredibly slowly without aid.

Capping is not just standing in a particular zone, though. It can involve using a computer terminal as well. Those hacking objectives are always inside of a structure, while take/hold onjectives are usually outside around a giant terminal with the owning team's logo on it.

When your team owns a hexagon, you gain a spawn point at it. You can then respawn there or anywhere else you have a point. If you are in a squad, you can choose to drop in via drop-pod, which allows you to quickly get back into the action. You will have to wait for that ability to cool down before you can use it again. The idea is to encourage people to attack in waves working together rather than have one ace-squad steam-roll through the enemy.

That's the general core of the game. There is no way to "win," it's a perpetual battle. The best your side can do is push the other two back to their respective teleports and hold them there.

Now, infantry classes:

-Light Assault is for flanking manoeuvres and jumping past enemy defences to hit a hack point or similar using their jet-pack. They are OK in a straight fight, but their low ammunition reserves and paper-thin shields force you to fight smarter, not harder.

-Heavy Assault is the jack of all trades; it gets a light machine gun, medium shields with an overshield ability, and a rocket launcher. These are the front-line troops that draw fire and basically do all of the grunt work. It's the most common class you'll encounter.

-Infiltrator is the sniper, but can also cloak and get in close to hack points or sabotage defenses.

-Engineer fixes shit and supplies ammo. Otherwise, his stats are comparable to the Light Assault

-Medic has really weak shields and armour, but comparable weapons to the Light Assault. It revives and heals friendlies.

-MAX is an oddball. Its best use-case is sitting next to an objective and beating the living shit out of anybody who tries to cap it. It's also pretty good at anti-armour roles; it really depends how you configure it. I don't recommend charging a fortified position with this class, you become an easy target. To go on offence with it, I suggest drop-podding onto friendly troops already engaged so you can immediately bring your big guns to bear.

About configuring, in the respawn menu you can select and alter your classes. You can change their weapons, perks, and accessories (also buy "certificates" to add and enhance these). You also need to remember to purchase grenades for yourself because you don't just get new ones every time you die or restock, and Engineers can't replenish them as far as I can tell.

tl;dr: It's basically Battlefield 2 with some additional caveats.

TeeKup: I don't much care for men crawling in the mud
    TeeKup: id rather them be crawling in my bed

neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of

the controls for the aircraft are WEIRD AS FUCKKK
    gallery-smellery!
    tutorial-brutorial!

Quake was a game where a guy jumped over your head at 30mph, spun, put 3 rockets in your grill and landed without slowing down and no one called "aim bot!" at it."

Post Apocalyptic Badass Corndogman's Avatar
    Corndogman is on a distinguished road

I"m in the beta, but I can't run it very well. Most of the time its fine on low settings, but when I get into the action the particles eat my frame rate. Once I get my new PC in a week or so though, ima be all over that shit. My only gripe is that unless you're in a squad with several people that you're actually talking to, it can be hard to get into the action. Sometimes its nice to just log in and start raining destruction, not flying halfway across the map only to get shot down.

I agree about the aircraft controls, or maybe I just suck (definitely). I'd love support for an xbox360 controller for vehicles, it would be cool if I could have one sitting on my desk and grab it when ever I got into an aircraft. Especially for turrets, trying to turn one of those things around with a mouse practically gives me carpaltunnel syndrome.

(^Click it^) Albums: Modeling, Photography

ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of

Watch these videos, they're pretty informative and the guy's entertaining. I mainly watch his BF3 stuff but I watched these videos just because I was curious, maybe you'll learn from them:

i havent been this excited for a game in a long time. i dont have beta access though :c
    Playing BC2 again. I'll take shitty hit registration due to Brazillian lag over built in shitty hit reg.

Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute

The aircraft handling is very much a work in progress. I just don't bother, I like armoured warfare.

Haven't created my new character since the character wipe on Thursday. I'd do it now, but the servers are down...again...

rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute rossmum has a reputation beyond repute

nc are still at least the population of both other factions combined, often more, every time i get on. fuck nc
    sometimes bad posters say stupid things and i put them in here

Really? Every time I play, NC are like the underpopulated third wheel that just likes to fuck with the primary VS-TR fight every now and then before getting steamrolled right back to their spawn...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information