+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Project Lumoria... Complete.

Re: Project Lumoria... Complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Ki11a_FTW View Post
    Yeah I'd really like to know why the lighting was held back, even play A30 then play this. This map could've looked 2x better had there been more focus on lighting and how it affected the feel of the level, it felt pretty incomplete in that aspect. EX: Cave's should've been dark with a hint of that dark blue lighting, there is no way in hell they would be that bright with such small amount of lights inside. I also mentioned this earlier when you posted screenshots months back, at the time you made it very apparent that it was temporary, now with final release I'm confused at the fact it looks exactly the same.

E:
    Keep in mind that target resolution for a30 was 480i in a living room environment. Console levels are typically brighter than necessary to ensure everything is easily visible in a bright room. We were also still in the CRT age back then with many tubes naturally being darker than they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
    Keep in mind that target resolution for a30 was 480i in a living room environment. Console levels are typically brighter than necessary to ensure everything is easily visible in a bright room. We were also still in the CRT age back then with many tubes naturally being darker than they should.
    I know, that is why I said "even a30". Maybe I'm nitpicking then, I'm always forgetting that they want that same classic feel as when Halo first came out. The campaign is great, don't get me wrong, I just think some more focus on light maps would've finished it off, It just seems rather bland in some places.

Posts, posts EVERYWHERE! Warsaw's Avatar
    Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute

A better comparison would be b30 or b40, and they both have better lighting.

TeeKup: I don't much care for men crawling in the mud
    TeeKup: id rather them be crawling in my bed

not that song

it better not be that so-

ugh.

boss elite dude fell off cliff when I was fighting him
    managed to hold two rocket launchers at once
    flew a banshee out of the level
    drove a tank off a cliff and skipped the entire map structure battle
    killed the un-killable ODST
    THAT. DAMN. SONG

other than that it was fun

except for the buggers, nobody likes buggers.

Honestly my favorite part about the whole thing was the final battle. Unfortunately I was getting terrible culling in most parts while in the banshee. Oh well. Great work all the same, it was fun. Good to see something finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Warsaw View Post
    A better comparison would be b30 or b40, and they both have better lighting.
    A30 is the closest thing that resembles lumoria, but b30 i could see a bit too, I loved the lighting inside that map at the time.

Posts, posts EVERYWHERE! Warsaw's Avatar
    Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute Warsaw has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, only the outdoors resembled a30. Apart from some nods to a30's light bridge and b30's service shaft, I felt like the interior of Lumoria more closely resembles b40 and the Ark's Cartographer.

TeeKup: I don't much care for men crawling in the mud
    TeeKup: id rather them be crawling in my bed

I played through the new episode 1 for the first time, looking at the trees and what-not I can see that you did run a full lightmaps. My apologies if I'm sounding a little harsh. I will play ep2 again later on to double check, I remember feeling some dull parts.

Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute

There are parts of EP2 that were run longer than others for lightmaps. Some of the interiors are darker then others, etc... This was mainly due to lots of fixing up on some BSP's near release, and then not having enough time to fully run them as some of them took literally days to complete.

I did basically all of the outdoor environments and a little bit of the forerunner, I can gladly say my source of inspiration when creating the environments mainly stemmed from Halo 2 and 3. Halo 1's a30 was great, and as you can see in EP1 I based alot of it off the idea of being up very high on these mountain ridges. With EP2 I looked back on alot of Halo 2's outdoor environments, such as Delta Halo and the Great Journey. It's kind of a mash up of all of them + my own personal style.

As for the Forerunner, I can't say much, but I asked KingFisher to say within a style that stuck with what we had done in EP1, what Massacre had done in EP2 thus far, and the Halo 1 constraints. I think he did a pretty awesome job, adding his own style with the last BSP + exterior of the control room but still staying within the style that was already implemented.
    "I don't know wtf I'm doing. Zbrush UI is like looking into the matrix."
    Lumoria - Youtube - Portfolio

The style of forerunner fit into the Halo 1 architecture perfectly. No complaints with that. I do think the bridge area could've used more in EP1 however. If you are referring to geometry, it was done well for the most part. A few things here and there but overall it came out really nice.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information