+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: New York & Sandy

Blog Entries
    TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute TVTyrant has a reputation beyond repute

Re: New York & Sandy

LOL at wet and powerless

I live on the jersey shore. My town looks like it got nuked. Seaside is gone, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only neighboorhood with power atm.

Blog Entries
    =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone notice how in the movie 2012 new york got flooded in the october?

The Atlantic just put another set of images up: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...ermath/100397/

dem foundations
    Last edited by Timo; November 2nd, 2012 at 02:20 AM.

^Thats what it looks like here,half those pictures are taken where i live.

Damn bro, did your house survive unscathed?

Blog Entries
    =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute

I have a question about homes in the US, how is it in areas with very little storms there are houses made of brick and yet in areas which have storms, majority of the houses seem to be made of balsa wood?

If you see brick on the outside of a home, it's only one layer deep. And brick doesn't do much against fire or flooding since the stuff on the inside gets ruined either way. And if a tree were to fall on your house, a layer of brick isn't going to do much to prevent damage. If anything, brick is just something extra that would cost more money in the long run. Since homes are less likely to get destroyed/damaged in areas with fewer storms, that's mostly why.

Brick being good against wind damage is nice, but that's rarely what really hurts a home.

inb4 wild end of the world conspiracies

I always figured the brick thing was a choice of it's cheaper to rebuild with wood than brick especially when the places are more likely to be hit by storms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodzilla View Post
    and i'm a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
    no you're not.

neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of neuro has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
    If you see brick on the outside of a home, it's only one layer deep. And brick doesn't do much against fire or flooding since the stuff on the inside gets ruined either way. And if a tree were to fall on your house, a layer of brick isn't going to do much to prevent damage. If anything, brick is just something extra that would cost more money in the long run. Since homes are less likely to get destroyed/damaged in areas with fewer storms, that's mostly why.

Brick being good against wind damage is nice, but that's rarely what really hurts a home.
    who makes a house with just a single row of bricks?
    that's so weird, i've never understood this about america, all your homes are made out of wood, and SOMETIMES some bricks, and then wonder why your shit gets fucked up.

i've seen big fucking trees get uprooted in holland, landing on houses, and the houses are usually 'like i give a fuck'
    also, we generally don't use those ceramic roof-tiles, because that shit just blows away. generally it's sheets of fiber-stuff or whatever that gets bolted down to whatever's underneath.

holland gets it's share of storms, and rain, (not quite tornado's, but somewhere i think that wouldn't be much of an issue either)
    we KNOW out shit floods easily, so we have giant mechanic doors that can literally close the harbor so the water cant flood.

i get the feeling the 'american way' of dealing with this isn't putting together a system that can protect you from things, because THE GOVERNMENT AND KAPITALISM AND COMMUINISM BAD AND JESUS!

we build massive dams long fucking time ago when we wanted to NOT have half the goddamn country flood every other fucking storm, so we spared no expenses and now we've not had any floods ever since that shit was built.
    in fact, we were on a roll so hard, we figured we'd also make the world's largest artificial island while we were at it.

but we're obviously crazy drug additcs and potheads in a godless lawless prostutution-on-every-corner crazie europeeans bound straight for hell, so who gives a fuck about that.

yet you still came running to us like bitches when your shit flooded with katrina.
    Last edited by neuro; November 2nd, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
    gallery-smellery!
    tutorial-brutorial!

Quake was a game where a guy jumped over your head at 30mph, spun, put 3 rockets in your grill and landed without slowing down and no one called "aim bot!" at it."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information