+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Attention Modacity Digital Art Pros: I want to get back into Digital Art.

Attention Modacity Digital Art Pros: I want to get back into Digital Art.

For a while now, I've been on a hiatus to preserve my desire to work in digital art, since I began to feel a ping of overwhelming frustration when I last worked on it. As a result, I'm absolutely miserable and find no meaning in life. Okay, maybe not that drastic, but it is depressing that I don't model as much as I used to. Though many of you either know me as bad at modelling, not a big modeler, or as someone who had promise so long as I kept working on it, my skill when I stopped a year-and-a-half ago was the that of what many could do back in 2003....a decade too short.

That said, I need help. Where do I start from here? What new standards are expected of in the industry and development now-a-days? 3ds Max and Zbrush/Mudbox are tools (hah!) that I need to know like the back of my hand and the skills that come with their use are absolutely crucial, of course, but what I really want to know is where to start in terms of a lot of new tech that's shown up. Where would be a good place to start to learn Hard Surface Modelling properly? I've looked up tutorials before, but I never got a good feel for them by just google+searching. Furthermore, High Poly to Low Poly modeling is something that I'm very unfamiliar with as 2003 techniques all relied on modeling in low poly to run in inferior engines compared to today's engines that can support a LOT more. Since that topic of modeling features a LOT, where would I go to start on that as well?

I know this is sort of a wall of text, but please help me if you guys can. I need to begin working on this stuff once more and although this maybe a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE call in my judgement, I thought you guys would be the best place to start asking questions.

"We also tried switching back, but they say we're using too many resources. Fuck them."

Blog Entries
    =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute =sw=warlord has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Attention Modacity Digital Art Pros: I want to get back into Digital Art.

Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute Higuy has a reputation beyond repute

Step 1:

Find a decent tutorial

Step 2:

Open 3ds max and follow along

Step 3:

Don't watch a tutorial and try it yourself on different things until you can get it down right.

Tutorials are good, but you need plenty of practice on your own to get it down correctly.
    "I don't know wtf I'm doing. Zbrush UI is like looking into the matrix."
    Lumoria - Youtube - Portfolio

do it every fucking day and put forth the effort to learn new things.

http://ctrlpaint.com/videos/the-drawing-habit

a
    pply this concept to whatever you want to do

It's hard to improve when you're afraid to see how horrible you are and look at what you did retrospectively to find something to improve upon.
    One of the biggest problems many people face going in is that their attempts don't come anywhere close to something like a featured work on polycount.

Honestly... Don't waste your time. It won't be worth it.

You have diabetes and can't eat a cup cake.

When MS is your publisher, that is true >_> Not sure if a job is your end game but to speak to his point it's a metric fuck load of work. So be ready.

Posting is one of the most important things to keep on top of. Posting on places like polycount not only gets you advice from more experienced people but also lets you know when you think something might be awesome when it's really not. Or sometimes people will just notice things you missed. The polycount wiki also has a ton information on it and worth reading through for the technical side of things.

When I saw the title ATTN: MDCTY I thought Nuclear Coffee was back in business to thwart us.

Who was Nuclear Coffee? Did he have good coffee?

"We also tried switching back, but they say we're using too many resources. Fuck them."

dude just choose something you want to do, and do it
    gallery-smellery!
    tutorial-brutorial!

Quake was a game where a guy jumped over your head at 30mph, spun, put 3 rockets in your grill and landed without slowing down and no one called "aim bot!" at it."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information