+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Halo 3's 7th Anniversary...and a guess about Destiny's future?

ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of ODX has much to be proud of

Halo 3's 7th Anniversary...and a guess about Destiny's future?

Today, September 25th 2014 marks the 7th anniversary of Halo 3. Hard to believe it's been this long, Halo 3 and it's beta were what really got me into the series, and still inspire my animations to this day. Were it not for the game and all the hype around it, both for the game itself and in how active the Halo PC community was, who knows if I would be in this community still?

Something irked me about this though yesterday while I was talking to my good buddy and old friend Higuy <3. With the incoming release of the Master Chief Collection, I wanted to take a look at all the release dates for Bungie's games. Take a look...

Destiny September 9th, 2014 Tuesday (2nd week of September)
    Reach September 14th, 2011 Wednesday (3rd week of September)
    ODST September 22nd, 2009 Tuesday (4th week of September)
    Halo 3 September 25th, 2007 Tuesday (5th week of September)
    Halo 2 November 9th, 2004 Tuesday (where the heck)
    Halo 1 November 15th, 2001 Thursday (is October?)

Yep, they get sooner and sooner. I did not count Halo 4 or Halo Wars, which were non-Bungie games, and I have no idea why October got no love. However, the rest of the games were almost always released on Tuesday, and released a week previous in the month since the last game.

Therefore, Destiny 2 (or whatever) will be released on August 29th, 2017. You heard it here first.

ASSUMING:
    -Keep releasing a week earlier in the month. In this case, the first week of September is the 1st on a Friday, so we have to go back into August's last Tuesday which is the 29th.
    -Asides from Halo 1 and Reach, each game has been released on a Tuesday
    -All major games had 3 year development cycles. ODST is the only exception, which throws a wrench between Halo 3 and Reach and makes Reach look like a 4 year cycle in a way but given the work on ODST, probably still turned out to be ~3 years. Halo 1 to 2 to 3 was all the same gap, as well as Reach to Destiny.

SO, reminisce about the glorious game that was and is still Halo 3, throw your rage about at Bungie on stupid design choices in Destiny (proximity chat PLZ), or feel free to tell me I'm shit and there's no way I'll be right on this.

Zeph has a reputation beyond repute Zeph has a reputation beyond repute Zeph has a reputation beyond repute Zeph has a reputation beyond repute Zeph has a reputation beyond repute Zeph has a reputation beyond repute Zeph has a reputation beyond repute Zeph has a reputation beyond repute Zeph has a reputation beyond repute Zeph has a reputation beyond repute Zeph has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Halo 3's 7th Anniversary...and a guess about Destiny's future?

Publisher titles are generally released during specific windows where past sales data suggests sales will be highest. IE where the heck is October. It's why when a AAA game gets delayed, it's a matter of months instead of a few weeks.
    Games and movies usually get released on a Tuesday because that's the day of the week that doesn't really conflict with any other entertainment-draining day. No games released on Friday because that's the big day for movie screenings. No games released on Sat/Sun because that's sports. No games released on Mondays because starting the week is typically more tiresome. Wednesday is too late in the week and has a weird spot in the middle. Thursday is too late in the week.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information