+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: WowLoader Source Code Discussion

Hybrid View

WowLoader Source Code Discussion

Hey, I'm the author of WowLoader.
    It was suggested to me that I might find people interested in the source here.
    As I've decided to move on, there's still a few things left undone (ignoring the various crashes).

First off, there's the activation issue.
    The reason activate.exe isn't working is because it dynamically loads a DLL which cannot be loaded due to unresolved imports.
    Unresolved imports is handled in the loader during the process creation stage, by creating the process suspended, the loader has a chance to resolve missing imports, before the OS attempts to resolve them.
    The specific class which handles this is named CAppPatch.
    Obviously this approach doesn't work with dynamically loaded DLL's.
    What's needed is to hook the LoadLibrary(Ex)(A/W) call used and load the DLL manually.
    You can use the flag DONT_RESOLVE_DLL_REFERENCES to get the OS to map the DLL properly.
    Then you need to resolve the imports of the DLL yourself and call the entry point at appropiate times.
    Not sure if there's more work to be done after that, in theory that should be enough.

Second, there's the dedicated server.
    The dedicated runs as a service process, which means the loader doesn't have any control of it's creation.
    What's needed here is to adapt the loader to work as a proxy service, which can then be registered in place of the dedicated server, to launch it properly.
    Once the loader service is started, it will need to create the dedicated server process, passing the appropiate arguments, using CLoader.
    Wow.dll will need to include hooks for RegisterServiceCtrlHandler(Ex)(A/W) so that it can catch the address of ServiceMain in the dedicated server.
    Now, whenever the loader service receives a notification through it's ServiceMain it'll have to notify Wow.dll, so that it can relay the notification onto the dedicated server's ServiceMain.
    I'd suggest creating a window in Wow.dll and using windows messages.

Anyway, that's about it, I think.
    If you have any questions about the source, this is the place to ask them.
    There's a little bit of info on the FileFront forums where I posted WowLoader originally.
    Here's a direct link to the source code: http://upload2.net/page/download/Vno...r-SRC.rar.html

[Local] http://files.h2vista.net/software/Wo...Loader-SRC.rar

Re: WowLoader Source Code Discussion

Bit of a bogded job then? Makes it unstable and possibly unreliable later on down the line (after updates)

Why would you want to watch your character get shot by a corrupt US General when you can watch him get eviscerated by an eight-foot alien in purple body armour?

Hey!

Good to have you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Limited View Post
    Bit of a bogded job then? Makes it unstable and possibly unreliable later on down the line (after updates)
    I'm sorry you can't appreciate the effort on my part for what it is.
    However, the source code is right here, you're more then welcome fix it.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by abcba View Post
    I'm sorry you can't appreciate the effort on my part for what it is.
    However, the source code is right here, you're more then welcome fix it.

Cheers
    Please dont put words into my mouth.

It's not that I dont appreciate it. I'm saying, its currently at its max really. Your tricking it into thinking the OS that is running is vista/making it think that XP is compatible with the game. That is pretty much the only way to make it work. Sadly it has its limitations such as the live issue, but that isnt fixable right now.

But you fixed one thing I didnt think was possible. XP h2sapien

Also Nick. Everyone knows Microsoft doesnt like open source, they have been FORCED into open sourcing things to keep the numbers up and to keep the customers.

Why would you want to watch your character get shot by a corrupt US General when you can watch him get eviscerated by an eight-foot alien in purple body armour?

Also Nick. Everyone knows Microsoft doesnt like open source, they have been FORCED into open sourcing things to keep the numbers up and to keep the customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Unless you were trying to suggest that Microsoft is against open source, in which case you would be wrong as usual (yes, those are three separate links).

Nick
    [05:42:58] <Corgy> I, THE STUPIDEST NIGGER EVER TO LIVE, WILL SAVE H2V FROM T3H EPIC F41L

Quote Originally Posted by Veegie View Post
    I said doesnt like. Not doesnt do. Theres a big difference...

Please dont put words into my mouth.
    If you think I misinterpreted what you were thinking then fair enough.

I'm saying, its currently at its max really.
    How did you come to that conclusion?
    There's still a few things which could be added.
    And even if MS begins searching for it proactively, there would still be legitimate ways around that.

Your tricking it into thinking the OS that is running is vista/making it think that XP is compatible with the game.
    That's not all it's doing, it also provides several API's which are only available on Visata.

That is pretty much the only way to make it work.
    Well, duh. If your car runs out of gas, there's only one solution to that as well.

Sadly it has its limitations such as the live issue, but that isnt fixable right now.
    *Sigh* Did you even read my first post?
    Or maybe the concept of source code escapes you?

But you fixed one thing I didnt think was possible. XP h2sapien
    Why would H2 Sapien be different from everything else?

I don't think this would be the best place to find someone to continue your code. As far as I know, there aren't too many programmers here. Where do hackers hang out anyway? I'll send this out to the few people I know, but I don't even have the minimum video card to run the game, let alone test the code.

By the way, great job getting it to work.

Blog Entries
    Con has much to be proud of Con has much to be proud of Con has much to be proud of Con has much to be proud of Con has much to be proud of Con has much to be proud of Con has much to be proud of Con has much to be proud of Con has much to be proud of Con has much to be proud of Con has much to be proud of

I'd have to agree with bitter. There aren't many programmers here, and those who can aren't all skilled to the level you require.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information