+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question

K10 is on a distinguished road

Question

I read somewhere that with a silver account you can host dedicated servers...i thought this was only for people with gold membership am i right or wrong?

MrUncool is on a distinguished road

Re: Question

Silver can host dedicated, but you can't create a server ingame that you can play in. Gold can create server ingame. To run a ded server you have to install the program and run it with your silver account, but you can't join it, although I think there's a thread somewhere where someone figured it out.

EDIT: I dont' know if that was confusing, maybe someone else can explain it better.
    Last edited by MrUncool; June 27th, 2007 at 11:51 PM. Reason: blah

so silver can host dedicated but can't join their own game and gold accounts can host AND join their own game?

MrUncool is on a distinguished road

If you run a dedicated server with a gold account, you still can't join it. What Gold can do is create a new game that other people with gold accounts can join, but it isn't a dedicated server.

O ok. So imagine this:

I install the dedicated server software for H2 via the H2V dvd but my Gold 1 month trial has ended. Can I still create a server in which ANYONE can join without myself having a gold membership? Thanks for all your help!

{XF}Lowsy is on a distinguished road

Here's the deal. There are two ways to have a server:

1) With a Gold account, launch the actual game and pick the 'create a game' option. This option allows you to change maps and game variants on the fly. But it requires on YOU being in game and controlling the action. Obviously without a gold account, this option is not available. So in your example of an expired 1month trial account - -this will not work.

2) Installed the special 'dedicated server' software that comes on the disk will allow you to create a server that runs on it's own. This 'dedi' server needs to login to windows live, however this can easily be done with a free silver account. If you setup the Dedi server properly, it will run it's own games by following the 'playlist' that YOU setup. Other people can join and quit on their own and do NOT need you to start the game,etc.

Hope that explains things better.

PS-The special Dedi server software can be installed on a Vista machine or a Win2003 OS.

Thanks! That explained and cleared things up for me!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information