+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MY shader shows up black

jngrow is on a distinguished road

MY shader shows up black

i don't know what I'm missing. My shaders all show up pitch black in Sapien. The tutorial doesn't mention anything about the lightmap_alphatest_map field, anyone know what I am supposed to put there? I assume that is the problem.

Re: MY shader shows up black

The lightmap_alphatest_map is basically just a mask, or a texture with an alpha channel that will be processed by the lightmapper to allow light to pass through the masked regions in the texture. For example, with large tree leaves textures in the canopy of a forest map, you set the alpha map texture to that field so when running lightmaps, you can see the shadows from the leaves instead of just polygons for shadows.

Also, if your shaders show up black, make sure you have a base map bitmap with no alpha channel. If it does need an alpha channel, and its a opaque shader, make sure what needs to be shown is white on the alpha channel of the texture. Make sure you set the bitmap compression type for a texture with an alpha to "compressed with interpolated alpha". There is a bug that causes the "compressed with explicit alpha" to compile as dxt1 with color key transperency which causes any non white areas of the alpha map to show up black on the color portion of the texture. Also, make sure you uncheck the unused flag in the bitmap tag as that might also cause bitmaps to not show up.
    Last edited by jahrain; July 10th, 2007 at 07:30 PM.

jngrow is on a distinguished road

Re: MY shader shows up black

that was amazingly fast and detailed. thanks.

Ok, new question. HOW DO I MAKE LIGHT TAGS? All the generic_light tags are terrible, unconventional lights that arent really supposed to be used for lighting a map. Help?
    Last edited by jngrow; July 10th, 2007 at 09:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information