+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ethernet Connection (Need basic help)

Limited has much to be proud of Limited has much to be proud of Limited has much to be proud of Limited has much to be proud of Limited has much to be proud of Limited has much to be proud of Limited has much to be proud of

Ethernet Connection (Need basic help)

Okay, I'm no hardware expert but I have a question.

Im going to uni soon, and they say they have an ethernet connection in every room, now I am wondering whether I have the correct connector in my pc.

Now I DO have a RJ-45 port, i know that allows LAN access, but can this be used with this ethernet connection, can I just buy a cable and connect it into the port of my pc?

Edit:Hold up, I have another connector, LAN PHY, "The integreated 10/100MBps LAN controller and the VIA VT6103 PHY. That can hold ethernet right?

Now, if it does work, would it be better (make the connection faster) to get a PCI card that allows ethernet? Mine is built into my ASUS motherboard so it is pretty bog standard.

Also if connecting to RJ-45 port doesnt work, an ethernet card will do the trick yeah?

On a side note, any one know how to fix a PCI card that has had the wireless antenna snapped off? I accidentally did it to my sisters pc, thats okay though however I did it to my pc the other day, I can fit the antenna in so it gets contact with the card outlet however it is never unstable. Also it snapped before the screw on bit. Basically there a hole where the antenna goes and a like spikey metal bit (that obviously plugs into the antenna to connect)

Cheers
    Last edited by Limited; August 15th, 2007 at 03:37 PM.

Scott-PL is on a distinguished road

Re: Ethernet Connection (Need basic help)

since nobody here gives help

yes your port will work as long as you have a cord.

RJ-45 = Ethernet

Patrickssj6 has a reputation beyond repute Patrickssj6 has a reputation beyond repute Patrickssj6 has a reputation beyond repute Patrickssj6 has a reputation beyond repute Patrickssj6 has a reputation beyond repute Patrickssj6 has a reputation beyond repute Patrickssj6 has a reputation beyond repute Patrickssj6 has a reputation beyond repute Patrickssj6 has a reputation beyond repute Patrickssj6 has a reputation beyond repute Patrickssj6 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes...ignore the other crap.

Banned
    KIWIDOGGIE is on a distinguished road

yea dont let it get you confused RJ-45 is ethernet.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information