Closed Thread

Thread: H2V Map making help

Lg2300 is on a distinguished road

Question H2V Map making help

I know how to make basic maps, maps with dunes, caves and such. But, I have a little trouble making maps with added objects. What I mean is: lets say" I have THE MOST BASIC map ( a box) created. With this Box map lvl, I was wondering how I add another shape to it. Kind of like "How the map '27 day later' was made" (with all those shapes and things).Do I create a shape, and then link it to everything, or just the framenode?... is there anything else I have to do? like select it and add UVW mapping?/... what are the EXACT steps to take when adding another shape to the map?
    Thanks in advance with any help :?

~Lg~

<(^.^<) ^(^.^)^ (>^.^)>

Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute

Re: H2V Map making help

The best way to add "shapes" or buildings for example is to have them be part of the actual level. If I were you, I would take some modeling tutorials. There's no point in making maps if you can't model.

Or I can tell him.

Simple really, make your level (judging by your post, you already made your map.) To add another object, make that object. Line it up with your level (that is, if that object is going to be on the level) Reason I say this is because you wouldn't want a floating object in the air now do you? Anyway, line it up to where you want the object to be and the ground. Then when you think that is where you want your object to be, convert it into editable poly. then click the polygon tool. Click attach and then click on your level. Or you can select your level, and click attach then click on the object.

You object should be attached to your level. If it doesn't look right, just select your object by its vertexes (surely you know this) and move it to the right spot.

If you want a room and doors (not machine, just open areas) just ask me here.

Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute Con has a reputation beyond repute

Putting a bunch of boxes together like legos won't get you anywhere.

{XF}Lowsy is on a distinguished road

You can also keep that 'added' object as it's own object in 3DS. Make sure it's linked to the levelroot.. But as codebrain said, you don't want something just floating in the air. Actually you can have something floating in the air.

But if that not what you want then you have to go through the steps of melting the two object together. This can be done by deleting certain faces, adding verts then re-creating the faces again so that any given edge on object1, is next to an edge on object2. This is referenced in the CE tutorial where they talk about adding the bases.

I like to keep seperate objects so they can be hidden and then the machine has an easier time rotating and what-not. Also, some objects can get in the way while your working on something else. So you can just 'hide' the whole object that's in your way.

Hope thats helps.

Alright thanks, i kind of get it.
    So I have to link it to the level root,after I've "attached" it to the level itself, and add a UVW map setting to the object. And If I want to make like a "table" or something, I can "melt" 5 boxes together (legs and base of table).
    Then I should add a suitable bitmap for the object (before I link to level root).

Is what I said right?
    Last edited by Lg2300; August 19th, 2007 at 09:37 AM.

Texturing and linking to the levelroot are always the last things you do, because if you start texturing then decide you need to change your model, it means you may have to redo some texturing over again.

Talking Re: H2V Map making help

ok ok. So linking is different than ATTACHING right? So I can have like a box as my ENTIRE level, and in it, I could have like a cone in the middle, if I "attach" it, then "texture", then "UVW map", and then link the cone and entire lvl (box) to the b_levelroot (already made)?

Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future Vicky has a brilliant future

Yeah linking is different. You don't need to attach the cone but you will have to link it to the levelroot, everything not linked to the root (or parent linked to the root) won't show up in a level. And as for levelroot you can use a small sphere (not converted to mesh or something), with a radius of 10 or so.

Alright thanks, I get it now

Closed Thread

Thread Information