+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Halo 3... the Official Inconsistencies and/or Stuff-Left-to-Be-Desired Thread

Banned
    Dole is on a distinguished road

Halo 3... the Official Inconsistencies and/or Stuff-Left-to-Be-Desired Thread

Well, there it is in the thread title. Let's talk about it, shall we?

To start off, Halo 3 ending up being an absolutely fantastic game, and it surpassed my expectations in many, MANY aspects. Bungie crammed in a ton of stuff, and worked it in with a masterful touch. Content left out of the past two games was polished and incarnated into this game. They made sure to give attention to whatever needed it, and I am amazed at how carfeully and proficiently they handled gameplay aspects that could have easily ended up a travesty or severe backfire.

Having said that, I regret that many of the shortcomings of this game could have been rectified easily but may have been neglected (intentionally or unconsciously) due to Bungie's ladder of priorities on the eve of the consummation of the biggest video game production ever. Regardless, I can take solace in the fact that none of the following... grievances... were available for public scrutiny and thus beyond any of our commentaries:

Arguably minor details that become major peevs
    Gravity Hammer
    Ah yes, the Grav Hammer. Fucking awesome weapon that was wiggled into gameplay rather nicely. My one complaint here is as follows: So we've got this huge fucking hammer that goes smashy-smashy, splodey-splodey. Obviously, it's already taken care of in the melee department, but we're still missing an actual melee maneuver... I guess we're all out of options, right? I guess we'll just have to resort to leaving the melee attack as a quick forward jab with the pommel, right?

NO, it has a blatantly (almost obnoxiously) obvious secondary attack, the GIANT FUCKING DORSAL BLADE. And not just a simple, potentially negligible blade that you essentially could just leave there for show; no, they had to give it the silhouette of a battle-axe and further embellish it with an undulating edge that ends in a jutting point at the bottom. Oh, and there's a cable-cutting razor notch stuck in there, too. What the hell?
    What a tease.
    Hornet
    I love this vehicle, simple as that. Although its rocket capacity is kinda unbelievable (yeah, I know... TEH WHOLE HALO UNIVERSE IS UNBELEEVABULL, HURR!!1!), I only have one issue with the Hornet: So we've got this airhopper ground support platform, see? And it's got two jumpseats for passengers on the outside of the craft, follow?

Now, these jumpseats trail somewhat behind the vehicle on either side, and any riders on these jumpseats constantly have to withstand a vertical heated jetstream from the pylon turbines and horizontal wind-tunnel forces from the forward flight of the vehicle at noteworthy heights and speeds considering its size. So at the end of the day, we're at least going to have these hapless passengers grab some kind of handhold bar to prevent them from falling a minimum of thirty feet straight down... right? Ffs, even the 40 mph Scorpion's jumpseats have a handhold of sorts. The Hornet just didn't make sense here.
    The Arbiter
    Great character, looked great in Halo 3. Considering how admittedly (by Bungie themselves) haphazard H2's production was, you'd think the Arbiter's war cry or wail of pain or whatever sounded kinda goofy because it wasn't fully polished by the guys in the audio department, right? Well I don't know what the hell that answer is, but one way or the other it was still in Halo 3. Gfg.

The Brutes can roar, Elites have had awesome voice work since the first game, and Keith David's voice is perfect for the character. Are you telling me they couldn't put a little more effort into this? I mean, he's just killed the Prophet of Truth and it's a resounding moment of triumph in the story's progression, and long behold he sounds like a thirty-year old with autism moaning for the jar of cookies. I was pretty disappointed there.
    Energy Sword
    Yeah, yeah, the Energy Sword. Everyone's already heard me complain in the past that it didn't have any awesome nimbus particles reminiscent of the Halo Wars trailer or the H2-E3-03 Demo. Well, it ended up looking alright (alright; not spectacular) and I'm not at all concerned with how it ended up. In fact I'm quite pleased; it was an improvement on what ended up in H2, it was much more polished, and it was unique against Halo Wars and pre-H2.

However, particles are nonetheless the focus of my ranting. Yes, particles. Bungie has revamped every particle in the game to the point of commanding awe. They've spared no expenses in making old ones look new and making new ones look equally stunning. Couple that with the fact that they added a particle for every conceivable niche it could be applied to in the game. Then return to the scene where Truth is killed, and...

There is an apparent lack of any conceivable attempt at an effort to try and embellish some sort of deactivation energy flourish for the Sword in any capacity. It just poofs into nowhere... sans the 'poof'. The Energy Shields of all kinds have the deactivation flourish, in Halo 1 the Sword had a nice flourish, and in Halo 2 (Another Day at the Beach) the Sword had a great flourish. And then of course it looks kinda goofy when the Sword is pulled out of Truth, but that's not a fundamental problem. Of all the particle uses in the game, this is where they skimp out? I don't get it.

The not-so-important, but still addressable "WTF's"
    Truth
    Michael Wincott as Truth = Awesome Possum
    Terence Stamp as Truth = Ditto

However, the fact that the essence of Truth takes a complete U-turn from being the cool and canny personage from Halo 2 to being the zealous, frenetic, deluded, borderline-clinically-insane mockup conglomerate of the since-killed-off Regret and Mercy with a completely different voice (as in, he had a voice box transplant with a chain-smoking seventy year old from the other side of the galaxy) character he is in Halo 3 doesn't make any sense at all.

Stamp brought a lot to the character, but it's a major rupture for continuity's sake, and let's face it... I miss Wincott.
    Carrying / Deploying / or Collapsing Turrets
    When they introduced turrets in Halo 2 and had NPC's carrying and deploying them, it was almost a sure shot that the player would get to try that out in Halo 3. Yeah, we got two things for the price of one in lieu of this ability (Autoturret and Support Weapons), but it's still sad to have had only a taste of honey when we were staring at the whole beehive.
    Limp-body Physics
    They were a funky novelty in Halo 2, and even though it was a buggy system, nobody gave a shit because you could get some great laughs out of it from time to time. Now it's Halo 3, and it's just irritating goofyness. It seemingly hasn't seen any much-needed improvement or fine-tuning since H2. *sigh*

The bodies are too limp; they just flop around and slide over the ground (to the point where it sometimes seems to be floating) like a marionette that's been lubed with a half-inch coat of mineral oil. The [lack of] tension in the joints and the reactions between friction and gravity are terribly unrealistic for a game like this.

Seraphs
    Bungie opened pretty much all doors for the player in terms of previously unusable content. Except for this. Kinda irked me, seeing as how there were plenty of places they could've worked it in.

Graphically, you can barely even tell if they were given any love because the few times you actually see them they're zipping around in far-alienated background AI dogfights.
    Energy Shield Gauntlet
    Bungie opened pretty much all doors for the player in terms of previously unusable content. Except for the Seraph... and this. It could've been a cool dual-wieldable, and if they got the Gravity Hammer to work as a legitimate weapon, then dammit they could've went all the way here as well.

Considering you've already got your personal energy shielding and the two deployable equipment shields, I don't really care about this in being excluded from gameplay. I just care about it a bit when excluded from the many other novelties of the game, as it feels a bit inconsistent.
    The Chief
    The Chief was aesthetically far superior in the '06 E3 Teaser in terms of the textures and bumps. September 25th came and went, and this had to be said. Did they bring the Chief down a few notches because other elements (or characters) of the game weren't up to par, or it would've been out of place with the chiaroscuro tone of the game? I don't know. Regardless, it devolved.

As for the visor, whatever. Yeah, RTR is still in the engine, but they had to sacrifice it for the sake of rendering time. Who gives a shit; the dynamic cubemaps are absolutely gorgeous anyway and are lightyears ahead of the placeholders in the Beta. I'm content.

In closing, the game is out and it doesn't particularly matter. The game was awesome and is invariably delivers supreme enjoyability. Indisputably, there will be more additions to the Halo franchise, and more to be expected.
    Last edited by Dole; October 28th, 2007 at 08:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute Kornman00 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Halo 3... the Official Inconsistencies and/or Stuff-Left-to-Be-Desired Thread

I agree, needs moar Wincott and less Scottish accent

But I think they were talking (in the cutscene commentaries) how in H2, he kinda portrays a friendly kind of guy and not the senile crack halo addict that will anything to light the rings. Or something like that, idk go watch it for yourselfs

Holy Testicle Saturday! DrunkenSamus's Avatar
    DrunkenSamus is on a distinguished road

Re: Halo 3... the Official Inconsistencies and/or Stuff-Left-to-Be-Desired Thread

I completely agree with you on the ragdolls. They were kinda improved from H2, as in you were pushed farther back when you died but sometimes they failed. Like when you die from an explosion, you would lie straight on your back and fly through the air and then have all your limbs move around when you landed. I found it annoying and funny.

Those Hornet seats are, in theory, far enough forward that they won't get torched by the engines, but your complaint is still entirely valid. Most of those I agree with, except for the Arbiter's roar, which I actually liked, and the matter of Truth. I think the whole point BEHIND them changing his voice guy was probably to portray that zealot-guy, instead of a laid-back dude. Sure, it's dramatic, but in the long run it's probably necessary and a welcome change.

OH YEAAAH.

ExAm is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Dole View Post
    *snip*
    I agree with this post, almost 100%.
    Last edited by ExAm; October 28th, 2007 at 05:36 AM.

Over 560 ace pins across all characters

JDMFSeanP is on a distinguished road

Was it necessary to quote the whole thing then?

And where I really agree is the visor RTR, I mean are you honestly going to look into your friends visor to try to look at what you are trying to shoot?
    [ G * H ] L O L B A L L S

ExAm is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by JDMFSeanP View Post
    Was it necessary to quote the whole thing then?
    Righto. Snipped.

Over 560 ace pins across all characters

Inconsistencies
    Master chief can flip elephants and scorpions but still can't run with a missile pod.
    Arbiter had mandible gaurds. (Graphical thing, I know.)

I agree on the part about the cheif's armor. I was pretty disappointed with the armor they had in halo 3 compared to the teaser's one.
    Join me..................

One thing that puts just about everything about cutscenes and characters you all have said in the dark: the "new and improved" Miranda Keyes. I don't think anyone asked to be commanded by an overconfident and obnoxious twelve-year-old that makes some of the cutscenes even campier than Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge. Julie Benz definitely should've been cast for the role of H3's Keyes, seeing that she freakin' played her in H2. That is all.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information